Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Boneless Porkchops with Radicchio Slaw


Hi all!

For my first ever Cornbread and Caviar entry I decided to make one of my favorite healthy go to meal. Boneless Pork Chops With Radicchio Slaw! Here's the scenario: I came home late from work and rushed over to the gym for my 45 minute Total Body Conditioning class. By the time I got home and settled it was 8:15 and NCIS was already in full swing. I needed to make something quick but tasty-- I was HUNGRY!! Then I remembered one of my favorite cookbooks Nancy Silverton's book A Twist of the Wrist. I know that some people have an issue about this book granted some of the recipes call for canned ingredients (oh heavens NO!) but really I could careless, I look pass those recipes and pick what I like. Long story short in 20 minutes I was sitting down with some juicy Boneless Porkchops with Radicchio Slaw.

INGREDIENTS
(for the pork chops)
4 6-ounce boneless pork chops (about 3/4 inch thick)
2 teaspoons pork rub (I didn't have pork rub so I through on a little Adobo)
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup canola oil

(for the slaw)
3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/4 cup aged balsamic vinegar
1/4 cup salt packed capers, rinsed and chopped
1 large shallot, finely chopped (about 1 heaping tablespoon or so)
1/2 teaspoon fresh rosemary, chopped
juice of half a lemon
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 small head radicchio, shredded (about 4 cups)



METHOD
Season both sides of the pork chops with salt and pepper then sprinkle over the pork rub, rubbing it into the chops. Set aside.

To make the dressing for the slaw, combine the olive oil, balsamic, capers shallot, rosemary, and lemon juice. Season with the salt and pepper.

To cook the chops, heat the canola oil in a large skillet over high heat for 2 to 3 minutes until the oil is almost smoking (preferably cast iron). Carefully add the chops to the pan and cook for 3 minutes until they are a rich brown. Flip the chops, turn off the heat and let sit in the pan for 3 more minutes. The pork will feel firm to the touch, but they should still be moist and juicy.

Leave the chops in the pan while you finish the slaw.

Pour the dressing over the shredded radicchio and using a pair of tongs, gently toss to coat and combine.

To serve, place a pork chop on each plate and top with a generous mound of the slaw. (I actually did the opposite--I told you I was hungry!)

Warning: The radicchio has a slightly bitter flavor but this is balanced out with the olive oil and the sweet balsamic vinegar. The rosemary gives the dressing a sort of woodsy taste and the capers (ooohhhh I do love capers) a briny tang. The lemon mixes well with the salt and pepper and brings all the flavors together. I added more lemon than the recipe called for because of the bitterness of the radicchio (are radicchio in season or something?) I usually add a little dijon mustard to the recipe because I like the way it pairs with the shallots but I decided to stick with the recipe for this go around.

I know that there are some concerns about under cooked pork but if you cook it in the cast iron pan it does a great job cooking thoroughly. After the pork chops sit in the pan for a while I make a little cut and make sure it's cooked if it's not then I cook it on high for 2 minutes. That will do the job. Don't cook it any longer or it will dry out. It's key that the pork chops are about 3/4 inch thick. If you don't think that will be fill you up then you can always throw on another porkchop.

Serves 4



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the new blog! Go Nat!!!

Black Sand said...

I wish this wasn't about pork! lol

Anonymous said...

Love pork chops and this looks and sounds great. Radicchio is also good for you. In fact, when examined solely for its antioxidant capabilities, radiccio is an antioxidant powerhouse compared to other fruits and vegetables.