Thursday, January 8, 2009

Roasted Brussel Sprouts with Garlic and Pancetta



I'm not really a brussel sprouts person but I realized that I need to expand my veggie diet from broccoli and salad to something a little more interesting. My grocery store is now carrying pre-diced pancetta and since everything taste better with bacon it was a no brainer.

Good ole Wikipedia defines brussel sprouts "among the same family that includes cabbage, collard greens, broccoli, kale, and kohlrabi. They contain good amounts of vitamin A, vitamin C, folic acid and dietary fiber. Moreover, they are believed to protect against colon cancer, due to them containing sinigrin."


Ingredients
1 lb Brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved (quartered if large)
2 oz pancetta, visible fat discarded and pancetta minced
1 garlic clove, minced
1/2 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1/4 chicken stock
2 Tablespoons of Balsamic Vinegar
preparation

Preheat oven to 450°F.

Toss together Brussels sprouts, pancetta, garlic, oil, and salt and pepper to taste in an well-seasoned cast iron pan.

Roast in upper third of oven, stirring once halfway through roasting, until sprouts are brown on edges and tender, about 25 minutes total. Stir in chicken stock, scraping up brown bits. Drizzle balsamic, toss and serve warm.

3 comments:

Brothers Blog said...

I don't like brussels that much either but you've made these look very appetizing.

Tamina said...

sounds good!

MIKE J. said...

Oh I am definitely going to have to [Try] this recipe out. I can't get enough of Brussel Sprouts. I literally can eat 3 to 5 servings myself no lie... Time to take it up a notch and spice them up, so this recipe is a done deal!!
Call me Chef BoyarMike after this is cooked up!